Discover more from Volatile Weekly
Interview with UKĆ
What got you into music, and if you had not gotten into music what would you be doing today?
- The biggest influence that got me into music was my parents, who saw potential in me when I was a child. Thanks to them, I started playing the drums, and then also the guitar. I can't imagine what I would do without music. I'm a full-time musician, I make a living from it. It's not just a hobby, it's a normal job.
What do you like to do when you are not playing music and how does that influence your creativity?
- If I'm not playing music, I listen to it almost all the time, only with breaks for sleep. I am a collector of CDs and vinyl and my second hobby is crossfit.
How long have you been making music?
- I've been an active musician since I was 14 (1998) and founded Abused Majesty. Most of that time I was a drummer in a lot of bands. Since I founded UKĆ, I am the author of all the music and lyrics and now I fulfill myself mainly as a vocalist and guitarist, making my long-term dream come true.
Where are you based and how did that influence your music?
- I have lived in Bialystok, north-eastern Poland, near the border with Belarus since I was born. Poland is a country of absurdities, strange beliefs with an absolutely idiotic, very extreme political system. On the other hand, we have beautiful nature and amazing history, so this country really provides a lot of inspiration for writing music or lyrics.
Tell me about your most memorable shows, if you haven’t played live what is your vision for a live show?
- I've been playing concerts for almost 25 years, but the biggest ones that stuck in my memory was Pol'and'rock, Frozen Sun or Metal Heads Mission. I will always remember the concert in Lithuania in the city of Alytus, where we played with Devilish Impressions and TWO people came to see us live. I will also never forget the concert with Corruption in Stalowa Wola (Poland), where I had to stop the show because I almost shit my pants.
What is your favorite venue to play at, and do you have any places you want to play that you have not already?
- Each place has its own unique atmosphere and it's hard for me to single out any specific ones. I like small stages where sweat condenses on the walls and ceilings, but I also feel good on huge festival stages. However, if I had to pick one place where I would like to play and happily die afterwards, it would be the Red Rocks Amphitheater in Colorado, USA.
If you could play any show with any lineup, who would be on the ticket?
- Iron Maiden with Blaze Bayley, Metallica with Cliff Burton, The Beatles, Bruce Dickinson, Black Sabbath with Dio, Dissection, Sentenced, Mayhem with Euronymous, The Devil’s Blood, Skid Row with Sebastian Bach, Pink Floyd, Pantera with Dime and Vinnie, Mother Love Bone, Slipknot with Paul and Joey, Turbonegro with Hank, Decapitated with Vitek, Death and Type O Negative.
What is some advice that you would give to someone who is just getting into making music and some advice that you would give to your younger self?
- Never give up and follow your dreams. You have to have big balls to be strong in this, but with hard work you can turn this passion into regular work.
Of your songs which one means the most to you and why?
- It's hard to pinpoint one song, but if I had to choose, I'd bet on "Withering" because it is fully about my family and my feelings.
Which songs are your favorite to play and which get requested the most?
- We only played one concert with UKĆ so far, so we can’t talk about songs that fans are waiting for.
What is your creative process, and what inspires you to write your music?
- Life and people inspire me the most. People are capable of such things that sometimes it's hard to pass by indifferently.
Do you have messages that you like to get across in your music? if so please tell me about them.
- My message is to sensitize people to what everyday life brings, to pay attention to the harm of others, to the injustice that can hit with great force when you completely unexpected it.
Do you have any new singles, videos, or albums out that you would like to tell me and your fans about?
- I encourage you to check out the singles for the songs "Fading Away" and "Uncertainty". On July 19, the next single "Deaf Eyes" will be released, and on August 18, the full English version of the album "Coming Out".
What are your plans for the future, and do you have anything that you want to spotlight that is coming up?
- I'm going to promote "Coming Out" on concerts everywhere. In the meantime, I'll be working on the material for the second album.
How can your fans best keep up to date with you, any socials you want people to check out?
- You can easily find me on Facebook and Instagram, I also have my own website and official shop.
Subscribe: / @ukcofficial40